Las Vegas is known for its hot summers, but it can also get surprisingly cold in the winter. While the temperatures in Las Vegas rarely dip below freezing, there have been instances where temperatures have dropped as low as 15 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that it is important to take precautions to protect your plumbing from the cold, even if you live in a lower elevation area.
Frozen pipes can burst, which can cause significant damage to your home and can also lead to expensive repairs. Here are a few things you can do to prepare your plumbing for winter in Las Vegas:
- Insulate your pipes. This is especially important for pipes that are located in unheated areas, such as crawl spaces and attics. You can purchase foam insulation at most hardware stores.
- Drip your faucets. This will help to keep the water moving in your pipes and prevent them from freezing. Let a trickle of water run from one faucet in your home.
- Disconnect your garden hoses. Leaving your hose connected to your faucet can allow water to freeze and expand, which can damage the faucet or hose.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks. This will help to keep the pipes warm and prevent them from freezing.
- Seal up any cracks or openings around your pipes. This will help to keep out cold air and prevent your pipes from freezing.
- If you are going to be away from home for a long period of time, it is a good idea to have a friend or neighbor check on your home regularly and make sure that the temperature is not set too low. This will help to prevent your pipes from freezing.
If you take these precautions, you can help to protect your plumbing from the cold and avoid costly repairs.
Additional tips for winterizing your plumbing in Las Vegas:
- If you have a pool winterize it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you have a sprinkler system, only water according to the water authority’s recommendations-once a week.
- Install a heat tape on exposed pipes. This will help to keep the pipes warm and prevent them from freezing.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure that it is clean and working properly. This will help to provide some heat to your home and prevent your pipes from freezing.
- If you have a water heater, make sure that it is properly insulated. You can purchase a water heater blanket at most hardware stores.
- If you have any concerns about your plumbing, call a professional plumber for an inspection.
By following these tips, you can help to protect your plumbing from the cold and save yourself money on repairs.
Sin City Plumbing
Sin City Plumbing is a trusted plumbing company in Las Vegas that can help you with all of your winter plumbing needs. We offer a variety of services, including:
- Frozen Pipe Thawing
- Leak repair
- Burst pipe repair
- Water heater repair and installation
- Drain cleaning
- And more!
Call us today at (702) 431- 6502 to schedule an appointment.